Monday, December 26, 2011

Yet Another Cockade Tutorial (Part 2)

In this post I'm going to show you a few things you can do with the technique you learned in Part 1 of this series. These photos are imperfectly categorized, but as you read along you should get the idea.

Hopefully this will give you some ideas so that you can go and make your own unique cockades!

1. Tail variations.

In Part 1 I chose to tuck the tails of the ribbon into a loop so that they don't show. Here are a few cockades where I left the tails dangling out.
Two cockades with their tails left out. Both ribbons are
1 inch wide, and the loops are 2 inches long.
Closer view. I like the tails to separate, and they tend to
want to stay stacked on top of each other (which is
another look worth trying).
This one has the tails left out and every third loop is extra
long. 1 inch wide ribbon with 2 inch long loops.
2. Ribbon width variation.

In this variation I've used a wider ribbon, but the length of the loops are the same: two times the ribbon width. A wider ribbon, of course, results in a larger cockade.

An unfinished cockade made from 1 and 1/2 inch wide
ribbon, with loops 2 times the ribbon width. This is a very
large cockade, measuring almost 6.5" across. The cockade
from the Part 1 tutorial is pictured for comparison.
3. Loop length variation.

In this variation I changed the loop length to one times the ribbon width. With the one inch ribbon, this made a wonderfully springy little cockade.

The loops on this cockade are 1 times the ribbon width (so,
1 inch here). It's finished with two brass beads stacked on
top of each other.
This one looks great from the back, and would have worked
equally well with the back as the front.
4. Stacking variations.

I made another cockade with a one inch ribbon, with two inch loops, but instead of attaching it to the felt, I stitched the loops to each other.

Don't cut the thread after making the loops. Instead of
stitching the loops directly to the felt, after pinning them
to each other (Step 5 in Part 1) stitch the loops to each other.
I made another cockade from a much wider ribbon (two and a quarter inches wide).

This cockade is made from a massive 2 and 1/4 inch wide
ribbon. The loops are 3 inches long (yeah, that's not really
a multiple of the ribbon width, but it worked for the look
I was after).
The back side of this one also looks really great.
I then stacked one on top of the other, and stitched the back sides of the top cockade to the bottom cockade.
I stitched the smaller cockade on top of the bigger one and
finished it with a brass button.
This one also has a lot of potential on the back side (sorry,
photo came out a bit dark).
Here are a couple where I added a ruffle instead of stacking multiple cockades.

The unfinished cockade here is a 1 and 5/8 inch ribbon with
1 inch loops (ok, I'm ignoring the proportions again). To the
back of it I've stitched a simple knife-pleated ruffle.
This cockade is made from 1 and 1/2 inch ribbon with
1 and 1/2 inch loops. The lower layer is loops cut and sewn
individually to the back, a total cheat to save ribbon.
I also attached the tails separately. It's finished with a
brass button.
And that covers all the cockades I've made in experimenting with this technique. There are a few other variations I want to try, so stay tuned for future pics.And please share any cockades that you've made! I love to see other people's creativity.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! These are amazing, you are so creative! I can't wait to try the tutorial.
    Thanks!
    -Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous!!! I can't wait to try it. Thanks again for the inspiration and beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you offer a tutorial? Where can I purchase silk ribbon.

    ReplyDelete